Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tracheotomy a success

Family and friends,

Last night I brought a Christmas photo of Bob into his room and posted it up on the wall. When I called the night nurse this morning at 6am to find out when Bob's surgery was scheduled she said she had a surprise for me. When April and I got to the hospital we were surprised to find that she had shaved Bob's face and head for us! (He hadn't gotten a shave in 37 days and with the chemo his hair was patchy - now he looks like a skinnier version of the old Bob!) Bob had the tracheotomy surgery today at 7:30am. Although the doctor said he had to cauterize the majority of the area because Bob was bleeding more than average, overall the surgery was a success. Now they relocated the breathing tube that also sucks lung mucus, from his mouth into the traech in his throat; and they moved the stomach tube from his mouth to his nose. For the first time in 17 days he'll finally be able to close his mouth! Also they have decided since the traech is much less scary for him they are going to wake him up fully. They took him off the sedation medicine a few hours ago, and he has his eyes open now, but it may take a day or so until he fully comes around. Then the weening process can begin.

Now my mom and aunt April were there this morning when the surgery finished. We were all sitting around with Bob while he was recovering and the strangest thing happened. The GI doctor came into the room and said that he spoke with the surgeon and the other GI doctor and that if Bob continues to show signs of bleeding that they will give him a "camera pill" that he will swallow so they can find the source of the bleed non-surgically with video. (I suggested this last week, but they told me no, it can only be done as an outpatient procedure). Here' s the strange thing: The doctor told me that they were going to get the hospital to pick up the tab on the procedure... I'm not going to say no, but I also know there's no such thing as free. Maybe it's because I said I wanted to move Bob from the hospital to one that has more technology. That's what I'm hoping at least. Anyway, I'm hoping that the camera pill won't be necessary and that he stops bleeding on his own. We're going to have to wait and see. Keep your fingers crossed!

Love and thanks,
Michele

PS. I'd like to thank all the people in my office at Fannie Mae. They were nice enough to sign a card asking for a speedy recovery and send prayers and caring words for Bob among other things. It was very kind of them!!

3 comments:

  1. thats a "we screwed up and we'll do anything you ask" thing if you ask me. but its good you dont have to pay for it.

    ps please give bob some knuckles and tell hiim woody says welcome back!

    woody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is progress! Keep kickin ass Bob!


    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for AccessMED/US Oncology, and there are countless "PAP" agencies, like ours, the get free product and services to cancer patients by negotiating with the manufactuerers. Millions of underinsured, uninsured, and indigent cancer patients get treatment because of us. There's no catch. Manufacturers set up foundations and then sell product to wholesalers by passing it though the foundation for the tax write off (which is twice the AWP - which is inflated). I won't bore you with all the math, but please don't feel like you shouldn't take advantage.

    PS...I am a former PLer that trained with Bob and his other training partners from time to time. Wonderful guy. If there's anything I can do from the cancer resource side, let me know.

    Susan Sharpe
    APF KS & MO

    ReplyDelete