Friday, July 31, 2009

Eyes open and red tape

Family and friends,

They have Bob off the Versed since yesterday (which is the medication they used to put Bob under). He has his eyes opened and making small progress like shaking his head yes and no. He can move his hands about an inch and will require extensive physical therapy. Bob's bleeding is still going on and his red count (hemoglobin) went from 9.3 to 7.9 during the night. I pushed the nurses and GI doc this morning to order the capsule endoscopy for Monday and it's been approved by the GI doc's office, Bob's insurance, but we are still waiting on approval from the hospital. His kidney function is getting better slowly by the day and he's off the dialysis. Other than that everything else is the same. I can't begin to thank everyone enough for all the kind words, emails and support.

Love and thanks,
Michele

3 comments:

  1. I am sure it means so much for you to have him responding even in the smallest of ways. That is progress! prayers without ceasing!
    Karen Burrows

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy to hear that Bob is waking up and making progress. He's doing great and we continue to keep him in our prayers!
    All our love,
    Christy, Tim, Nicky, Uncle Rich and Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what a milestone it is to come out of the induced coma! I'm sending many prayers of thanks for both of you!!! I've never heard of the camera capsule before--it sounds like amazing technology, and it's so wonderful that the hospital is doing it on their bill, whatever the reason may be.

    One thing I wanted to mention as a heads up... You said in your previous blog that it might not be needed if Bob somehow stops bleeding on his own. Even if he does, you should INSIST the MDs find and address all sources of bleed risks anyway. Unfortunately, chemo does not get easier with HIDAC, and as Bob moves into consolidation therapy and his immune system repeatedly gets killed off, the bleeding will rear it's ugly head again if they don't address it now. Not to sound scary, but I'm just trying to inform you of what I wished my hem/onc had told me at the beginning of my battle with AML.

    Wishing you both peace and comfort!
    God bless--Jennifer

    ReplyDelete