Saturday, July 11, 2009

A lot of blood, a little bit of progress


Family and Friends,

Yesterday they gave Bob blood, platelets, and plasma to try to increase his counts. They did go up a little bit, but not as much as they had hoped. His blood is at 5.4 and platlets at 12,000. I spoke with the nurse this morning at around 6am and he said they are going to be taking Bob for another CT Scan of his chest and stomach. It's 8:30 right now and the doctor is coming soon. I am going to speak with her regarding his nutrition as they wouldn't give him anything to eat yesterday at all, and he couldn't drink water until about 2 pm, (they had originally said yesterday if his counts were up where they wanted them they would give Bob nutrients in the IV, but held off because they didn't want to tear up his stomach or intestines any more than it already was) and I will also get on my little soapbox and speak to his doctor regarding the importance of continuing to give Bob more blood products until he gets to the point of being able to maintain them at normal levels. My fear is that possibly the doctor will give up on Bob and stop giving him blood. Since 2 weeks ago, Bob has received blood from 30 PEOPLE.

I would like to thank the 30 strangers that out of the kindness of their hearts volunteered to donate blood and helped save Bob's life. Bob will probably need the help of 30 more people, if not more. When I was in high school and college I always donated blood whenever I saw a bloodmobile, but in the 12 years since I graduated college, I've always made excuses not to. Not anymore. Every time the bloodmobile stops by my office, or I see it at the movie theater or mall or where ever, I'm going to donate and hopefully help save someone's life too.

Keep the prayers and thoughts coming for Bob, he's still got a long road ahead.
Michele

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are seeing progress and glad to hear you are such a strong advocate for Bob. That is so important in getting him through this. Stay firm and don't let those doctor's intimidate you!! Get what you want for Bob.

    I'll keep checking for updates. I know lots of prayers are coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep Bob in my prayers. Stay strong, you'll get through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steady and progress is good, even with all he has been through his counts are still in ok range, i know that sounds crazy, but to be bleeding out and still have those ranges is a good sign. He is a fighter and it sounds like hopefully he will be on the upswing of this. You sounds like a fighter and just the kind of advocate he needs, I do not think doctors would ever give up on him. It is amazing the amount of blood we get as patients and I think about that too, each bag is from someone who gave of their time and heart to do it - thank goodness they are here, leukemia patients especially but all otehrs would not be here without their generosity.

    I know a doctor who comes and talks to patients there too, Dr. Warner, if he is available he is a truly wonderful man for you and Bob.

    Praying each hour gets easier and Bob gets stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any way to donate in Bob's name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Michelle - please let me know where to donate blood for Bob. I am praying for you guys. I will try to get everyone from work on Monday to give as well. A big hug to you and Bob - love you guys!

    ReplyDelete