Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kidney and Liver Issues

Family and Friends,

I spoke with Bob's Oncologist today and they are having concerns about Bob's kidney and liver functions. She brought in a Nephrologist who specializes in kidney issues and he said that Bob's kidneys are malfunctioning due to the dehydration caused by all the diarrhea. They decided to increase his IV fluid rate over the next 24 hours, but if his kidney function does not improve there is a possibility he will need a course of dialysis. As I said in the last blog, his Bilirubin levels are elevated which affect his liver. If this does not improve they will do an MRI to determine the next course of action. He needed another platelet transfusion today as well.

I am taking a half day of work tomorrow so that I can be here when the doctor performs the bone marrow aspiration in the afternoon. This will determine if the chemo worked. Bob is very weak today, but did a great job on drinking the ensures. The doctor spoke to him about his food intake and the dietitian came by and they have added an apple juice supplement called Enlive which has 9 grams of protein. He'll be drinking 4 of these a day in addition to the 4 ensure.

Please keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow. Thanks again for keeping Bob in your thoughts and prayers,

Michele

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michele,
    This is Chickenhawk from Westside. Tell Bob that Karen, the boys, and myself are all praying for him, Christopher, and you. Louie & Doris are thinking of all of you as well.
    When he starts feeling better we will go diving together.
    Can you please call me when you get a chance?
    God Bless,
    -CH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bobby! Your other'mom' here. I think I finally figured out how to send a message to you! You, Michelle, Chris and all your family and loved ones are in my prayers! You are too strong for this thing to get the best of you! I believe, I believe, I believe in miracles! Love ya, Dona

    ReplyDelete