Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tentative move to the Cleveland Clinic

Family and friends,

Today was a very busy day for Bob. As I stayed home from work sick, Bob had his final swallow test that he did pretty well on. He Is now allowed to eat solid foods and drink thick liquids. He is not allowed water or gatorade unless it has a thickening agent in it. No ice cubes either. Bob had jello and a half of a hamburger as his first meal. He was glad they took the feeding tube out of his nose.

Now to the bigger picture stuff. The director of staff who was also Bobs surgeon, his oncologist and myself had a long talk. Bob is still bleeding according to the results of the pill endoscopy, and although the oncologist says it's imperative that we move to start the next round of chemo asap, she doesn't feel comfortable doing it until he stops bleeding. The surgeon said he didn't feel comfortable operating on Bob a second time and felt that Bob might best be served going to a facility that has a double balloon enteroscopy available because it is the least invasive next step. They gave me time to sit and talk it over with Bob and then I called his sister to discuss. We felt that the best choice right now was to keep him as close to home as possible, so the Cleveland Clinic in western ft lauderdale is the choice. It's our intention to transfer him there asap to have the procedure and as soon as he's stopped bleeding have him transferred back here to finish the chemo. Tomorrow we are going to start the ball rolling so that hopefully by thursday he can be moved. I pray that this is the right choice. I feel like it is.

Bob is very scared and rightfully so. He's got another battle to fight. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Love and thanks,
Michele
Ps. They did an xray today on bobs stomach. Both camera pills are stuck so they had to give him milk of magnesia and stool softeners in order to move them along. Hopefully he'll pass them tonight.


-- Post From My iPhone

5 comments:

  1. getting the bleed fixed is the right choice. however, is there any chance that bob will lose his bed where he is? and will be unable to finish his treatments there? that happened to my grandmother, and she was held in limbo for a month to find a center with a bed to continue treatments.

    any conversations where decisions have been made with staff, make sure a director in charge is present and get it in writing. especialy in regards to replacement into the center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers are with you all. I feel you've made the right decision! Keep on fighting Bobby! You've done an awesome job so far!!! Love and hugs.....xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wanted to give you my opinion but didnt' feel it right since I don't know you and I knew that you would make the right decision. I totally think this is the right move (and not just because I work for the Cleveland Clinic in ohio). You deserve better care and I do believe you will find it now.
    God Bless! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are making the best decision you possibly can under extraordinarily difficult conditions.

    I live 10 minutes from the Cleveland Clinic. If there is anything you need at all, even if it is just to get out of the hospital for a little while, call me, 954-629-1855.

    As always, my thoughts and prayers are with Bob, you, Chris and the entire family.

    Leslie Flick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about the move, i think it is the right thing to do - i feel that it is best to get the bleeding stopped prior to chemo. Thoughts and prayers are still with you Bob, Michele , and Chris. Keep the fight - I know you can do it

    ReplyDelete