Monday, September 14, 2009

Bob's blood dropping again

Family and friends,

This morning Bob went to his oncologist. Over the weekend his platlets dropped to 8,000 and his hemoglobin to 6.5. The doctor gave Bob the option of being readmitted to the hospital or go in on an outpatient basis for transfusions today. Needless to say he chose outpatient and I dropped him off at Bethesda at 9am. It's 6pm now and he's still at it. They gave him 2 red blood transfusions, 2 platlets, and a magnesium IV. He is tired but in good spirits. The doctor said he will need chemo up until December so we won't be having our welcome home/engagement party until January it looks like.

Please keep Bob in your thoughts and prayers.

Love and thanks,
Michele


-- Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele and Bob--

    I feel so much empathy for you right now... Try not to get discouraged. This is just part of the standard game now, as much as it sucks. This will happen with each round of consolidation, and the effects are cumulative, so just stay strong and keep up the fight! The best advice I can give is to be uber careful about infection risks. Do not go out unless you absolutely have to while you are immunocompromised between HiDAC treatments. I thought I was "safe" to do so as long as I wore a mask, which is only precautionary up to a certain point. Speaking of masks, if you haven't already, you might want to ask your pharmacist about a supply of heavier duty ones, since the standard hospital issue masks are only good for about 15 minutes before they need to be replaced. The other thing I can suggest is to make sure the room you are staying in at home is as sterile as possible. Also the bathroom. Try to limit time in common areas. If you have a friend in nursing, they can give you some pointers on this, and maybe even show you techniques for the best benefit. (Again, something I learned after the fact and a slew of deadly infections.)

    All in all, hang tough through these next three months. As long as your counts recover in between treatments and there is no active bleeding, you will make it through!!! This is the 2nd worse chemo regimen out there, only topped by the chemo that preps for a BMT--I've been told by my docs that making it through AML treatment means you can make it through anything else out there! Although I have never met you, I can tell from everything Michele has written that you are a fighter and you can beat this! On your darkest days, know that there is good that will come out of this for you. It may seem hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but it will come. I'm not saying that to sound patronizing, I'm saying it because I know it to be true.

    You are both in my constant prayers!

    Blessings from Detroit--Jennifer

    ReplyDelete