Thursday, September 17, 2009

24 hrs later, we got platlets. No blood yet

Family and friends,

After writing the blog last night I went out and spoke to the charge nurse about getting Bob some ice packs. She was nasty to me and told me to sit in the room and wait for the nurse. I was so mad I was beside myself. I called the nursing supervisor over the whole hospital and complained. 2 minutes later my ice packs magically arrived. 10 minutes after that, so did the cooling blanket. The dumb nurse set the blanket on 45 degrees and after 10 minutes bob had enough. He said he'd rather die than freeze like that. I tried to explain that I could increase the temp to 98.6 like they did in the ICU but it was too late. There was no convincing him. I just had to take it off. He used ice the rest of the night. Although Bob had a fever throughout the night the nurse didn't bother to give him Tylenol until 7am. I had to call down to the bloodbank to give them hell at 6 to find out where the blood was. It was here but no one seemed to be in a rush to bring it up. Bob got the platlets at 10. And were now waiting on the red blood. Bobs temp is still at 102. He's packed in ice, he is neaseus and refuses to eat. I talked him into one jello and a Gatorade. The infectious disease doc came in and we told him about the MRI debacle and he said they'd do a CT instead. When Bob realized he had to drink contrast dye, he refused. That's been our day thus far.

Please keep Bob in your thoughts and prayers.

Love and thanks,
Michele
Ps. They put Bob on a morphine PCA pump not dilaudid. And he's getting 1mg every 8 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I know you are going through hell. If there is ANYTHING I can do - come sit with you, sit with Bob, get you some food, a Marguerita - ANYTHING, just call me! 561-603-8854. I want to give you some relief.

    There is going to be a blood drive at the Holiday Inn (Max's) the end of the month. I would like to get that info out so we can possibly donate in Bob's name.

    I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. And I am very serious about wanting to help you.

    Love you guys! Dona

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a nurse I am again embarrassed. Setting a cooling blanket that low will INCREASE body temp by causing him to shiver(that's why we shiver when it's cold!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize you posted this this morning and I have been offline all day, so I know a lot of things could have happened since then. Michele, I'm not even going to comment on the lack of sense of urgency of the blood bank or the ineptitude of the nurse, other than to say I'm so angry on your behalf that I want to get on a plane and head down there to strangle someone on your behalf! Unfreakingbelievable!!!

    Now Bob, this is for you... I want you to know that I know exactly how you're feeling right now. I know the level of pain and nausea and fever and chills and frustration, and wish I could forget the intensity of it, but I know I never will. No one who hasn't been where we have can fully get it and know what HiDAC treatment takes out of you. But I do. Having said that, part of the fight right now is doing everything and anything you can to get this infection identified and under control. You MUST let them do the MRI or CT. I fully understand about the MRI incident which should never have happened to you, and I know how disgusting the contrast is even if you aren't already nauseous beyond belief, but you need to put mind over matter, not think about it and just do it at this point if it is necessary.

    I know you don't know me from Adam, but please know that I'm saying this out of nothing but complete concern for a fellow patient, and I know you have a lot of life left that you want to experience. I've been EXACTLY where you are right now, and trust that you need to do it if it is a matter of identifying the source of infection to treat it and to get your fever under control. It's imperative to comply.

    By the way, regarding nausea, if they don't have you on a combo of Zofran and Ativan, ask for it. A couple of mg of Ativan added on did wonders for me. Also, don't let them tell you about not being able to take it because of the morphine drip--two completely different drug classes. It will increase sleepiness, but no worry for interactions.

    As always, you are both in my prayers.

    Hugs from Detroit--Jennifer

    ReplyDelete