Monday, November 9, 2009

Emergency admit to hospital...

Family and Friends,

I am beyond pissed off right now to the point of spitting nails. If you've been following the blog you know that last week I ranted about the fact that no one apparantly except for me feels it necessary about Bob's blood counts. On Friday Bob went to the doctor (and at that point should have gotten two units of blood). Well no one tested his blood counts on Friday because the doctor was moving her office. I was pissed. Fast forward to yesterday... Bob's face was broken out with peticlui (looks like measles). By this morning it had spread all over his body and when he woke up his tounge was twice it's normal size and fill with bloody postules. So needless to say we rush to the doctor, she says his low platelets are causing all of this and that he needs an emergency platelet transfusion. At this point it takes everything that I have to not start yelling because this whole damn thing could have been avoided if someone would have been proactive. So now here we sit, Bob and I at the hospital. It took an hour to get the blood results. His hemoglobin has dropped to 5.8 it's surprising to them he is still concious. Normal is between 12-16. His platelets are at 2. Seriously. They are supposed to be at 150,000-350,000. His white cells are non exisitant which means he has no immune system. I hope everyone can understand how frustrating this is because it all could have been prevented with some proactivity. So they are doing an emergency admittance into the hospital for Bob. I'll be here all day if you need me.
Please keep bob in your thoughts and prayers.
Love and thanks,
Michele


-- Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Michele, I'm so very sorry that this is happening to you guys. I can't believe his hemoglobin is so extremely low. The platelets I can comprehend, but not the hemoglobin. I remember the standard transfusion level being 8.0--if he was borderline on Friday, it was completely irresponsible to not order blood, knowing that the weekend was coming. Especially knowing that this was his 3rd round of HiDAC--the treatments are cumulative and it's harder for the marrow to recover after each round, thus there should be an expectation on the MD's part that his numbers are going to drop more rapidly and recovery will be longer.

    I will be saying prayers that blood gets there quickly and that transfusions will help everything to stabilize. I'll also be praying that there are no infections or other complications on the horizon.

    Bob, I know how hard it is at this point. Stay strong, both physically and in faith. Pray and talk to God a lot--He will carry you through the hardest part of treatment!

    ReplyDelete