Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 1 of Chemotherapy

Dear Family and Friends,

Today Bob began his first day of "Induction Chemotherapy". I'm not sure how detailed everyone wants me to be, so I'm going to be just for the first entry because I know a lot of people want to look this stuff up, so here it goes:

Bob will be taking a 7 day course of the drug Cytarabine and on the last three days they will add Idarubicin to the mix. Per his doctor this is used to wipe out the bad cells from his bone marrow. The main side effect aside from nausea will be a risk of infection and blood loss due to not having an immune system. For this reason and the fact that his platelets are so low due to the prior internal bleeding, they are taking "Neutropenic Precautions" with Bob which means no flowers in the room, no fresh fruit or veggies, no tap water, and everyone wears masks and washes hands before we see him. Right now it is immediate family only due to his compromised immune system. Bob is also being given Zofran to combat any potential nausea.

On the 14th day after Chemotherapy begins, they will repeat the bone marrow biopsy to determine how effective the chemo was. On the 30th day they will begin "Consolidation Chemotherapy" which is an even higher does of the Cytarabine which lasts for 3 days. They will keep repeating the chemotherapy cycle 3-4 times. The next step after this depending on how much of the cancer cells were eradicated would be a possible stem cell or bone marrow transplant. We don't know about this part yet.

Unfortunately now we are still awaiting the results of the final cancer cytogenetic testing. We do not know which subtype of Leukemia Bob has, and this would help the doctors determine how strong it is. We hope to have these results by Monday.

On a more positive note, Bob is doing very well on his first day. He ate dinner and is just minimally nauseous. He says hello to everyone and is excited to watch "Burn Notice" tonight. (He wanted me to say this!)

Finally I would like to especially thank my friend Rana today. She will be running a 5k in Hyde Park, London on July 19th to raise money for cancer research. She is dedicating her run to Bob. Also, many thanks to everyone who has made donations on this site. Thanks again for all the texts, phone calls, emails, and comments as well. I assure you I am telling Bob about each and every one of them. Thanks again for everything and I'll keep you posted.

Michele

PS. you can click at the bottom right of this blog if you want to follow it

10 comments:

  1. At least he isn't too stressed about the hair loss from the chemo yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob!

    Come back as soon as you can!!! Don't worry, Vince is "underwriting" all files just fine (you taught him well :-) ), but we still miss you terribly!
    We are all praying for your fast recovery!

    I'll be watching Burn Notice tonight too; we can discuss when you get back.

    Hang in there,

    Anna aka BFF
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele,
    Thanks for setting this up and updating it! I feel so much more connected to you guys through this even though I am 000's of miles away.

    Bob,
    Glad day 1 wasn't that bad... hope you feel this well throughout!
    We love you and are always thinking of you.

    Burn Notice Rocks!!

    Love,
    Lisa, Jared and Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youngs,
    Need to get better soon so we can head to California and beat the tar out of Morrison. We'll be thinking about you here at the Lynch house. My parents and Debbie send their best.
    Lynch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,
    Last night I was looking at a new lifter in a squat suit and thinking "10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound sack". Who used to say that to me? Yes, these are the things that proved how deeply you touched my life.
    Love you Buddy.
    My wife Debbie sends you all her love and best too.
    Dougie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I am the blogger in the family, I may comment more than Mark (chickenhawk). Mark is doing the powerlifting meetin in York, PA this weekend and I am keeping him updated on how you are doing. I'll let you know how he does and I know they are all thinking and praying for you.
    Take care, Karen Burrows

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob-

    Erin and I are praying for you and a speedy recovery. Of all people, I know you're one tough bastard and will beat this thing!!! Of course, Lynch needs your help to come and try to kick my ass. Like in school, it always took two of you to even try :) Get better fast!!!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been an inspiration to many and I wish you a speedy recovery. I know you will fight this with the same tenacity you competed with, and you have an amazing support system in your family and the elite crew. I look forward to seeing you back on the Q&A in the future. Stay strong, God Bless, and you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My prayers are with you, Bob and the rest of the family. He'll fight through it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob you are an inspiration to many. You are someone who has given back so much to the community. I wish you the best.

    James Getchell

    ReplyDelete