Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Happy Late April Fool's Day from Bob

Hi everyone! Today you get Bob instead of Michele. No, it's not an April Fool's joke. I think this is the first time I have written in the blog. Kind of weird considering it's been going for 10 months now. I hope I don't mess it up. I'm waiting for a call from my Oncologist for the results of my monthly blood work. For anyone who has not been through it, this is the most anxiety inducing thing post cancer. I'm healthy, feel 100% healthy, and I can feel myself getting better everyday. But, I still dread waiting for the results. So, today I am anxious.

Michele is sick. She has some kind of cold or flu. She caught it on a cruise she went on with her parents last week. I am taking her to the doctor in an hour or so. She has no voice at all. This is also why you get the guest blogger today.

Last week was Spring Break for Christopher. I had him Tuesday-Saturday. With Michele gone it was a lot for me. But, we made it through just fine. We had a lot of fun. He is really is growing up so fast. He is also very smart and he doesn't forget a thing. So, if I say we are going to do something, you better believe we are going to do it. I think the highlight for both of us was our shopping trip to Gander Mountain. We both got some new "toys". We had lunch at the restaurant there and Chris was great and very patient. He said they made the best hamburger he has ever had.

Oh, Happy belated Easter to everyone. We were pretty low key and just had lunch with Michele's family and my brother-in-law Tony's family. We went to Saito's. It's one of those cook in front of you Japanese places. The food was good and it was nice to see everyone.

That's about it. I would just like to say thank you to everyone for all of your support over the last 10 months. I couldn't even begin to put into words how much it meant to me. Thank you for taking this very rough journey with me. Your support made it a much easier ride.

I'll try and be a guest more often if Michele will let me and you guys like it.

Oh, I almost forgot. My very close friend Alwyn Cosgrove has reminded me that I am almost at 100 days of being cancer free. I think I am at 92 today. My results came back on January 4th. It is so weird as it feels like that was forever ago. We will be having a small celebration on day 100. I just need to figure out when that is ;-).

Make it a good one-Bob

1 comment:

  1. Just stopped by to check in, and I was glad to see you guys back online! Michele, I tried going to your fundraising site, but I wasn't able to donate online for some reason. Do you know if the links are just temporarily down? Let me know so that I can throw some $$$ votes your way! :)

    Bob, I'm so glad you're progressing as well as you are. I wanted to tell you that the monthly blood checks WILL get better as time goes by. I was a basket case over them for a while, and I actually had to go on a weekly basis for a few months, so I can relate all too well to the anxiety it produces. It doesn't ever go away, but it is much more tolerable now than it was a year ago, so hang tough!

    Also, just a happy fyi for you... I didn't know this until I was out of treatment for a while, but the medical remission or "cancer free" date is actually counted from when you first went into remission, not from your final remission draw in January. My dates are June 9th and October 10th, respectively, and I celebrate both. :) However, when it comes to reading statistics and all the scary data out there, it is comforting to know that I'm actually 4 months farther into remission than I originally thought. I hope this helps you, too!

    I hit month 22 this week, two months out from magic 24. I will finally be released back to work around the same time. Miracles do happen, just keep the faith. I'm so happy you've come as far as you have!

    Feel better, Michele!

    --Jennifer

    ReplyDelete